A Saxon village was established in Barton on the line of the Roman Road called Akeman Street. The Domesday survey indicated a population of 31. Agriculture was the only industry for the village apart from coprolite mining in the 1860-70’s. Land was nearly all owned by colleges and one family, the Martins. New housing for Cambridge commuters led to growth between 1930-70, when Barton’s population reached 923 in 1971 dropping to 843 in 2011.
St Peter’s Church dates back to the 12th century, but the style of the present building is pure 14th century.
Bird’s Farm, originally a late medieval hall, is the earliest surviving house in the village.
Just south of the parish is the University Mullard Radio Astronomy Observatory.
For a comprehensive history visit British History Online